Re: Synaptic preferences question

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 16:56 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 09:28 -0500, John W. Foster wrote:
> > I want to have Synaptic automatically download & display the process of
> > of the download of all the packages I have in the sources.list when it
> > first is opened. I do not 'see' this happening now. It may be doing it
> > but I don't know for sure, since it only pops up the download window
> > when I key it to update manually. Any suggestions?
> > frosty
>
> It might be my broken English, a cup of cheap wine too much, I dunno,
> but I don't understand what you want.
>
> "update manually" is for pushing the "Reload"-button?
Yep
> "all the packages I have in the sources.list" is for what? All packages
> provided by your repositories?
again yep
> All packages you've got installed?
No
> "display the process of the download"?
i.e the popup that shows the actual execution of the download of each
repository. when I hit the reload button
> Synaptic does display all
> processes, as soon as you give your okay to upgrade.
correct
> If you just update
> repository information, no package will be downloaded, neither a process
> like "ldconfig" would be launched.
not relevant to my question

I will refine the question;
Is there any way to have synaptic do the package update automatically
when I execute the application. i.e run 'apt-get update';

I do not currently see that happening. I must hit the reload button each
time I open synaptic. That option does not appear in preferences.
Thanks!
frosty