Re: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i hangs system at boot

On 6/6/2012 9:36 AM, Ramon Hofer wrote:
> It's me again.
>
> After several unsuccessful tries to update the BIOS I brought it back to
> my dealer to let him do it.
> He now says that the mainboard is broken and I get my money back.

Interesting...

> Now my question is should I go for the same mainboard again or what do
> you recommend?

What did I previously recommend in this regard?  I don't recall
recommending you replace the mainboard/CPU.

> I suppose the LSI problem was due to the broken mainboard but the

Maybe, maybe not.  Too early to tell.

> dealer also said that the LSI has the C7P67 not listed as a compatible
> board.

He's simply giving himself an excuse to not help you with your problem.
 Ask him how many mobo+GPU combos he's sold that are "listed as
compatible".  The answer will be "none, because nobody does that kind of
testing".  Then ask how many don't work together.  His answer will
likely be "none".  This quashes his compatibility list excuse instantly.

You never did call LSI.  When you finally do, as I suggested long ago,
they'll also tell you it's not listed.  But they will then tell you it
doesn't matter, and that the two boards should work fine together.

There are over 10,000 different motherboards on the market.  Nobody
tests against them all, not even close to 1/4th.  And in the case of
LSI, they don't test against any board that is not marketed as "server"
or "workstation", as that is their target market.  Your board is
neither.  The fact that the C7P67 isn't listed has nothing to do with
whether it's compatible with the 9240.  The fact it isn't listed is
simply that they chose not to test it because it's a desktop board.

> What I want to connect to the mainboard is:
>
> 2x PCIe x8 for the LSI and the expander

Again, you don't need a PCIe slot for the expander.  If you're not
mechanically gifted and are unable to drill holes and screw it to your
chassis using standoffs, which is the preferred mounting type, simply
wrap it up in a non conductive material, such as bubble wrap, tape it
closed with a few wraps of electrical tape, and lay it where there's a
relatively empty space on the floor of the chassis, such as behind the
drive cage.  This is ugly but will work, and free up a PCIe x4/x8 slot.
 I wish you lived near me, as I'd come over install the expander
correctly, on the chassis floor, wall, top panel, PSU housing, or drive
cage, in less than 30 minutes.  And it would look like it was installed
at the case factory.

> 1x PCIe x1 for the graphics card
> 1-2x PCIe x1 for TeVii sat card(s)
> 1-2x PCI for PVR-500 analogue TV card(s)

I'd get another C7P67.  There's no reason the LSI shouldn't work with
it.  If it doesn't work off the bat with the replacement C7P67 then it's
certain we have a problem with the Debian kernel driver, or that the
wrong one is being loaded.  You've not tried mpt2sas yet, only
megaraid_sas, which Debian loads automatically.

> It would be nice if it had a connector for the lan chassis LEDs :-)

LAN chassis?  I thought you had a 24 bay rack chassis?  The drive cage
LEDs should be powered directly from the SAS/SATA pins on the back of
the drive, through the backplane.  If not, then you've got a really
cheap 24 bay case. :(

--
Stan