Re: how to update Debian OS properly

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 11:57:28AM BST, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> well, I have questions about upgrading Linux. since i have been using
> Microsoft for years the concept of upgrade I think is different from
> Linux upgrade.
>
> in a testing environment I was trying to upgrade the security patches
> and I run the command
> apt-get upgrade.
> It ran fine, but at the end it upgraded my whole OS, first my test
> machine was showing Debian version 6.0.4 now after the upgrade it
> shifted to Wheezy/SID which I think is unstable.

Read below [0].

> In Microsoft when we upgrade  the OS. it downloads only the security
> and OS patches.
>
> So the question are
>
> 1. how to upgrade only the security patches?

aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade [1]

> 2. if the upgrade patch trigger any critical issue. Like any service
> like hosting, filesharing or squid got effected by the update, how
> come we know which patch cause this problem and how to remove that
> specific patch because in Microsoft I have seen that security patches
> and OS patches some time make problems when run along with ongoing
> services.

There are no "patches" like in Windows. Patches in free (open source)
software are for source code [2].

Upgrading a package you effectively installing a new version of the
software.

> 3. how to revert back to old OS, for example, in my case i upgraded my
> system from 6.0.4 to Wheezy/SID now want to revert things back.

You can always install an older version of the package.

[0] It seems like you had several entries in your sources.list file(s)
- post the content of your file here.

[1] safe-upgrade will only upgrade packages and won't remove any other
ones

[2] yes, I know, you can have binary patches as well

Cheers,
--
rjc