Re: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i hangs system at boot

On Sun, 20 May 2012 23:35:58 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> On Sun, 20 May 2012, Ramon Hofer wrote:

>> > It might well mean one of the power planes is oversubscribed, and
>> > THAT can cause anything up to and including damage to hard disks,
>> > data corruption, and crashes.
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion, Henrique!
>> The PSU is a 750 W so I think it should be enough for now.
>
> Yes, it is probably enough.  You have to do a lot to overpower a *good*
> 750W PSU (a crappy one, OTOH...).
>
> You should still do all testing with the minimal hardware setup.  From
> experience, you also need to be able to test using no keyboard or a
> different keyboard (and mouse)... USB is supposed to be safe from this
> crap as it can detect overcurrent, but since it IS detecting overcurrent
> in your case (be it a faulty alarm or not)...

The PSU is a Thermaltake. I have two PSUs with less power. Maybe I should
try it with one of them?

I will try this evening with a old ps2 keyboard. But it would surprise me
if this is the source of the problem because the usb transmitter for the
keyboard / mouse is used in another computer without problems and the
over-current messages are always related to port 7 and 8. Using a
different usb port makes no difference...

Best regards