Re: how to config network in squeeze

On 10/05/12 14:54, Long Wind wrote:
> in early debian distro, I set two PCs' IP (192.168.0.x)
> then they can ping each other
>
> now I install squeeze, with step above performed, I can't ping a PC
> running lenny
> ping says sth like destination unreachable
>
> What should I do?

No reason why you shouldn't be able to do that in Squeeze....

On each box ping the hostname and the localhost. If both localhost
(127.0.0.1) and the hostname respond to a ping - then both sides of the
NIC work, leaving the routing as the problem.

eg.:-
# ifconfig
shows ip address is 192.168.0.8 (and mask is correct) - check that the
eth$ you think is configured, is in fact configured.

$ cat /etc/hosts
check localhost is correct and the IP address is matched to "hostname".

Now:-
$ ping localhost

then:-
$ ping `hostname`

If both attempts get a response then both sides of the NIC on that box
are working...

Unless you have unusual routing rules - if the NICs on both boxen test
OK, *and* they are on the same subnet, *and* the link lights are on....
check dmesg for dropped packets or iptables for ICMP rules.

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-