Re: Only 3.6gb of 64gb RAM recognized by 64bit squeeze

On 09/05/12 19:19, Seyyed Mohtadin Hashemi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Before anybody starts arguing that I don't have 64-bit, this is uname -r
> and uname -m:
> root@n03 <mailto:root@n03>:~# uname -r
> 2.6.32-3-amd64
> root@n03 <mailto:root@n03>:~# uname -m
> x86_64
>
> As the subject suggest I have a box that does not utilize the available
> RAM installed. I noticed that only 3.6gb RAM was recognized when I got
> segmentation faults during a simulation.
> The funny thing is that when I remove dims so that only 48gb RAM is
> available then it works fine, I did a 'lshw -C memory' and it shows all
> the dims at the correct spot (the output is attached). BIOS and memtest
> show and successfully test all 64gb.

Weird.

What is the RAM slot arrangement? 8xdouble slots?

What was the arrangement of the sticks when you got 48GB to show?

Did it matter which sticks you used (for the 48GB)?

Did it matter where those sticks were (for the 48GB)?

What is your motherboard?

Is this problem recent - or has it always been like this?

<snipped>

It looks like all the RAM sticks are identical - is that the case?

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-