Re: Does anyone care about dialup?

--- On Mon, 5/7/12, Indulekha <indulekha@theunworthy.com> wrote:
> From: Indulekha <indulekha@theunworthy.com>
> Subject: Re: Does anyone care about dialup?
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Date: Monday, May 7, 2012, 7:50 PM

> I prefer to use pppconfig to create the connection, pon/poff
> to start/end it

+1  I was on dialup until very recently (earlier this year) and preferred pppconfig though gnome-ppp worked too.

> Bought a USRobotics USB modem, and it works perfectly.

+1 again.  I have always used a USR 5610 internal and it just worked.

Be aware though that some phone companies (like ATT locally) are intentionally throttling data connections to move used to higher paying services.  That's why I ultimately had to get off dialup.