Why does Audacity show me internal mics: "Internal Mic: 0" and "Internal Mic: 1"?

I have AlsaMixer v1.0.24.2 and if I press F6 to select sound card after running alsamixer, I get two options:

  -  (default)
  0  HDA Intel

If I select "- (default)", the card name and chip name are displayed as "PulseAudio" in the top left corner. If I select "HDA Intel" the card name is displayed as "HDA Intel" and chip name is displayed as "Realtek ACL268".

When I launch Audacity 1.3.14-beta (Unicode), I see the following options for each pulldown menu.

Audio Host:

  ALSA
  OSS

Output Device (when ALSA is selected as audio host):

  pulse
  default

Input Device (when ALSA is selected as audio host):

  HDA Intel: ALC268 Analog (hw:0,0)
  HDA Intel: ALC268 Analog (hw:0,2): Mic:0
  HDA Intel: ALC268 Analog (hw:0,2): Internal Mic:0
  HDA Intel: ALC268 Analog (hw:0,2): Line:0
  HDA Intel: ALC268 Analog (hw:0,2): Mic:1
  HDA Intel: ALC268 Analog (hw:0,2): Internal Mic:1
  HDA Intel: ALC268 Analog (hw:0,2): Line:1
  pulse: Mic:0
  pulse: Internal Mic:0
  pulse: Line:0
  pulse: Mic:1
  pulse: Internal Mic:1
  pulse: Line:1
  default: Mic:0
  default: Internal Mic:0
  default: Line:0
  default: Mic:1
  default: Internal Mic:1
  default: Line:1

I can set the input device to any one of the following and record my voice successfully:

  pulse: Internal Mic:0
  pulse: Internal Mic:1
  default: Internal Mic:1
  default: Internal Mic:1

But if I set the input device to anything else, I can't record my voice.  I want to know why I have got two internal mics? As far as I know, my laptop has got only one internal mic. Why do I see two in Audacity?

Here is some more output. I hope it will help you to answer my questions. If you need more output, please tell me.

lone@learner:~$ arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC268 Analog [ALC268 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 2: ALC268 Analog [ALC268 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

lone@learner:~$ arecord -L
default
    Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
pulse
    Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC268 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0