Re: MySQL seems to be running too slow; LONG

On Sun, 2012-05-06 at 14:09 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 05 May 2012 13:26:33 -0500, John W. Foster wrote:
>
> > I got this output from mysqltuner:
> > Any advice is appreciated: The main issues is that this db server
> > handles a Mediawiki database and when I upload files it takes way to
> > long to do its job likewise when serving up the data to produce the
> > webpages.
> > Output:
>
> (...)
>
> > -------- Recommendations-----------------------------------------------------
> > General recommendations:
> >     Run OPTIMIZE TABLE to defragment tables for better performance
> >     MySQL started within last 24 hours - recommendations may be
> >     inaccurate Enable the slow query log to troubleshoot bad queries
> >     When making adjustments, make tmp_table_size/max_heap_table_size
> >     equal Reduce your SELECT DISTINCT queries without LIMIT clauses
> >     Increase table_cache gradually to avoid file descriptor limits
> > Variables to adjust:
> >     query_cache_size (> 16M)
> >     sort_buffer_size (> 1M)
> >     read_rnd_buffer_size (> 256K)
> >     tmp_table_size (> 20M)
> >     max_heap_table_size (> 20M)
> >     table_cache (> 128)
> >     innodb_buffer_pool_size (>= 764M)
>
> (...)
>
> It seems the script did a good job by telling you what's what you can
> tweak. Have you made any of the recommended changes?
actually I made all the suggested changes; My conundrum is that after I
made them, the changes were not indicated as being sufficient. May be
that the script does not do that; Example the original run of mysqltuner
showed:
tmp_table_size (> 16M)
max_heap_table_size (> 16M)

I changed the values to;

tmp_table_size (> 20M)
max_heap_table_size (> 20M)
If I am correctly understanding the values indicated it would seem that
the 20M size is now insufficient. Is that correct?