Re: How Does One Re-run write_cd_rules Solved

=?iso-8859-1?q?Camale=F3n?= writes:
> On Sat, 05 May 2012 22:00:18 -0500, Martin McCormick wrote:
>
> > This system started out as lenny in 2009 and I just upgraded to squeeze.
> > Most of the system is fine but I have lost both CDROM's which used to be
> > /media/cdrom0 and /media/cdrom1.
>
> What does dmesg say? Are they still detected at sr0/sr1?

	First, thanks to all. There were actually several
problems. /dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1 are there and good. When fstab
got automaticly rebuilt, the mounts for the CD drives were
originally based on /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd which no longer exist.
udev creates the exact device names I requested which were
/dev/cdrom, /dev/cdrom1, /dev/cdrw and /dev/cdrw1 but I goofed
when rewriting the rules and forgot to put the /media component
of the path in the rulesets so /media never saw the symlinks
appear for /media/cdrom0, /media/cdrom1, /media/cdrw0 and
/media/cdrw1.

	I re-wrote the /etc/fstab entries to reflect /dev/cdrom
and /dev/cdrom1 and now I can mount CD's exactly as before from
a user account.

	I still need to fix an entry in fstab to mount a FAT32
usb stick on a mount point called /flash. Since there are
several possibilities of usb devices that will be plugged in and
have a FAT32 file system, I will need to screen for that in the
ruleset, not the device manufacturer as that would only match
maybe one device at the most.
> > I didn't help anything when I accidently left a usb drive installed so
> > it looks like the thing to do is clean out /etc/udev/rules.d of 70
> > -persistent-cd.rules and start over minus the usb drive in the hopes
> > that I can modify the rules to get the CDROM's back.
>
> Mmmm, I'm not sure if that will work. Anyway, you can move the file
> elsewhere and let udev does its way.

	A good night's sleep plus a clear head pointed out the
fact that the device I had left in by accident was right where
it normally is so the LUID and fstab entry are actually correct
and don't need to be destroyed.

Things are now looking up. udev takes some getting used to, but
it is a good thing.

	Again, thanks to all for suggestions that were much
appreciated.

Martin McCormick