Re: netinst.iso - a "learning experience"- Part 1 grub

On Sun, 06 May 2012 07:26:39 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sat, 05 May 2012 17:10:14 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>
>>> Why a "learning experience"?
>>> 'Cause when I've finished recovering, I'll know more ;/
>>
>> That did not sound reassuring :-(
>
> Why? Although the trigger for moving to Linux was annoyance with Gates &
> Co., my methodology is *STRONGLY* motivated my learning the guts of
> Linux. Being retired means I have time in abundance.

Why having to "recover" does not sound reassuring?

Well, recover means something have failed (or something went wrong) and
of course a failure is not something I would tag as a "pleasurable
experience" :-)

>> You mean Squeeze or Wheezy netinstall?
>
> Version 6.0.4 Without double checking I believe that's "Squeeze".
>
> That caused me to notice that there was no intuitively obvious way to
> determine what version is running. I had to look at the file name of the
> iso file.

You soon will get accustomed to match the numbers with the codename :-)

I remember quite well Lenny was 5.x and Squeeze 6.x because I started
using Debian since Lenny but if you ask me what's the codename for Debian
3.x I can't tell unless I read it.

>>> NOW, when system boots I have 2 choices - Debian and Debian in
>>> recovery mode.
>>> a. Why?
>>
>> Why, what...? Because you have installed Debian, right? :-?
>
> This was the latest of several installs. All the previous installs had
> access to the Windows OS.

The last time I dual-booted a system it was a mix between windows 98 and
SuSE 8.2 and I used GRUB Legacy. By that time (~8 years ago) I had to
manually add the Windows stanza at GRUB's menu so Windows could be booted
from there. I mean, old linux users are used to do things manually but
now that's starting to change (I still don't know if that's for good,
though...).

>> Windows is still there, don't panic, is just you:
>>
>> - Have replaced its NTloader (Windows boot loader) with another boot
>> loader (GRUB2).
>>
>> - The new bootloder (GRUB2) has to detect (or you have to manually add
>> an entry) the available OSes in your system, which is not always an
>> easy task. GRUB2 has a tool for doing that automatically (by means of
>> the "os- prober" script) which I think is run by the installer but as
>> anything in this world, it can fail :-)
>>

> update-grub solved immediate problem.

Yes, because running the command should trigger the "os-prober" script
(unless it has been explicitly disabled) :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón