netinst.iso - a "learning experience"- Part (-1) Gparted Live

[strange subject line to bind temporally but not logically related questions ;]

I've been experimenting with Linux install - varying options of various distributions. I shrank the Windows partition with Gparted Live without problem. Did an unknown number of installs letting installer "du jour" use free space as it chose. Between installs - "deleted" current Linux partition and went on with next experimental install.

At one point an install created 2 partitions in the contiguous free space. Prior to the next experimental install I 'deleted' both partitions.

Using Gparted, I could not find a way to create ONE partition using all the space of the TWO now 'deleted' partitions.

Were my expectations flawed?
Should Gparted have be capable of that?
A general partitioning question - where would I find comparative definitions of
  [Primary, Extended, and Logical] partitions?

TIA