Re: eglibc fails to build from source

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 12:01:37PM +0100, Brian wrote:
>    sudo apt-get build-dep <package_name>

If you would prefer to be able to remove the build dependencies afterwards
easily, you  could do (assuming one has devscripts and gdebi installed):

     mk-build-deps
     sudo gdebi install <the generated .deb file>
     sudo dpkg -i <the generated .deb file>
     rm <the generated .deb file>

>    apt-get source <package_name>
>
>    quilt import /path/to/patch; quilt push

     ^^ this step would only be needed if you were applying a patch
not already in the Debian packaging; if the patch is part of the packaging
this step could be skipped.

>    debuild -us -uc

Add -jN to enable parallel builds if you have a modern CPU (N=7 is quite good
for basic Intel i-era chips, or quad core 2 duos).  This can massively speed
up building and rebuilding packages.

> The system used was only a basic install so I needed devscripts and
> fakeroot.

You probably also needed build-essential.