Re: Mythtv problem with versions

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 07:24:07PM +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
> I have a server running Squeeze.  It has mythtv-backend to record
> all my TV programs.
>
> On my desktop I run Sid.  After an update over the weekend, my
> Mythtv Frontend will no longer connect to my backend, complaining
> that
>
> "This version of MythTV requires an updated database. (schema is 35
> versions behind)
>
> Please run mythtv-setup or mythbackend to update your database".
>
> I suspect that I need to somehow update the backend.  But with that
> being Squeeze, that could be rather difficult.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions of how to deal wth this.
>
> [Mythweb will stream the TV. and that almost works, but I do tend to
> want to save programs mid way through or want to rapidly skip
> forward and backward.  The media play that is launched by the
> browser doesn't seem to all any of this.]

I confirmed with the debian-multimedia maintainer that the testing
version of MythTV would always be compatible with the stable version.  I
am running a stable backend, and a testing frontend.

I don't think that the unstable version is necessarily compatible with
the stable version.  In fact, I recall recently on the debian-multimedia
mailing list that there was a new version in unstable.  So I suspect
what happened is that your frontend got updated, and it refused to
communicate with your stable backend, because the databases have
different schemas.

-Rob