Re: X problem (?) after fresh install on old laptop

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 11:57:05 -0700, Potato Jim wrote:

> Thanks for your advice!
>
> Camaleón wrote:
>> Okay, so from now on you are using the "nv" driver, right?
>
> Yes, NV for now.

Don't forget to give "nouveau" a whirl from a livecd media, it will be
your better option in the future if you want expand the life of your old
laptop :-)

> I realized that I now have one new issue, though not as bothersome as
> the original.  When I CTRL+ALT+F* into a terminal window, or during the
> start-up/shut-down messages (when X is not running), the screen appears
> very dim, and has vertical lines that roll across it.  Is there anything
> obvious that I can do to fix this?

Hard to say... being your card quite old (for today "standards", I mean)
and the "nv" driver not maintained anymore, I bet there are not many
documents out there you review :-(. You can try to set/tweak/play with
whatever available options provides the nv driver that can be found in
"man nv".

> This does not happen when I boot into Recovery Mode -- only when I boot
> normally.

Maybe because the recovery mode will boot with vesa/fb VGA driver instead
nv (you can see check this point by reviewing your "/var/log/Xorg.0.log",
the driver in use is logged there) but that's a low level graphic driver
used mostly as "fallback" when nothing more works but not convenient
(meaning: less configurable, less options, less capable) if you are using
a graphical environment.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón