Re: Alt key problem with MacBookPro

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 12:47 AM, Riccardo Romoli <ric.romoli@gmail.com> wrote:
> my name is Riccardo, and I'm a newbie of Debian. Using the Debian-Wiky
> I was able to install Debian 6 as single boot on my MacBookPro
> (v.3.1). The only problem I notice, till now...., is about the Alt key
> that doesn't work. I tried to configure the keyboard with the
> graphical interface but I wasn't able solve my problem. If, for
> example I press Alt+Tab,  I was able to switch between the different
> windows, but the Alt key doesn't work both in the various text editors
> (emacs, gedit...) and in the terminal, to type the extra character
> such as tilde, square brackets...
>
> How can I solve this problem? Is there a way to manually map the keyboard??

Did you choose the Mac/Apple layout when prompted? On my Macbook the
left alt is the meta-key (for window switching, M-x etc. keybindings
in Emacs) and the right alt is used for various extra characters. So
the left and right alt are (usually) not the same key on an Apple
keyboard in GNU/Linux.

Daniel Landau