Re: how to retrieve info from a bad disk?

Am Samstag, 21. April 2012 schrieb abdelkader belahcene:
> Hi,
> I check ntfs-3g  ( tool on linux  to manage ntfs file system) to fix the
> error.
>
> ntfsfix  /dev/sdc1     gives  the output: mft corrupted ...     is there a
> chance to recover  something ???
>

> "
> Mounting volume... MFT is corrupt, cannot read its unmapped extent record
> 280867
> Note : chkdsk cannot fix this, try ntfsfix
> Inode is corrupt (0): Input/output error
> Failed to load runlist for $MFT/$DATA.
> highest_vcn = 0x3, last_vcn - 1 = 0x1a53f
> Failed to load $MFT: Input/output error
> FAILED
> Attempting to correct errors... MFT is corrupt, cannot read its unmapped
> extent record 280867
> Note : chkdsk cannot fix this, try ntfsfix
> Inode is corrupt (0): Input/output error
> Failed to load runlist for $MFT/$DATA.
> highest_vcn = 0x3, last_vcn - 1 = 0x1a53f
> Failed to load $MFT: Input/output error
> FAILED
> Failed to startup volume: Input/output error
> Checking for self-located MFT segment... ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn:
> magic: 0xc0468167  size: 1024   usa_ofs: 43309  usa_count:
> 58159: Invalid argument
> OK
> MFT is corrupt, cannot read its unmapped extent record 280867
> Note : chkdsk cannot fix this, try ntfsfix
> Inode is corrupt (0): Input/output error
> Failed to load runlist for $MFT/$DATA.
> highest_vcn = 0x3, last_vcn - 1 = 0x1a53f
> Failed to load $MFT: Input/output error
> "
>

> thanks a lot
> regards
> bela

Hi Bela!
You might try UBCD4WIN, this is a livefile CD especially for those purposes.
At boot there is an option, you can choose to start into the recovery console
of Windows, and there you can try CHKDSK /P /R c:

This might help.

Good luck!

Hans

P.S. Sorry, this was not really linux or debioan related. :)