Re: Is there a system sync tool?

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 07:39, Magicloud Magiclouds
<magicloud.magiclouds@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  I have a PC at work, and a PC at home. And I am really tired to
> build the same environment at home every time I changed something at
> work.
>  So just wonder if you guys have some idea to help. For example, when
> I updates something (configuration, packages, etc), the tool would
> somehow record the change (through internet or on a usb drive). So I
> could just re-do the change at home.

You can do that with things like rsync or possibly etckeep or similar.
But depending on what you are syncing, if the machines are not
identical, it can be a real problem.

The correct way would be to use a config management system, like
cfengine, chef, puppet, etc. But learning, setting up and running
those is a lot of work for just two machines.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers