Re: installing emacs on debian 6.0.4

Dan Hitt wrote:
> I just installed debian 6.0.4 on a partition on my computer.
>
> I would like to install emacs on it, but so far have been quite unsuccessful.
>
> I imagine that something is missing from my /etc/apt/sources.list.

Yes.  You are missing the main archive.

You do not have http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian there.

> deb http://emacs.naquadah.org/ stable/
> deb-src http://emacs.naquadah.org/ stable/

I am not familiar with those.  Why do you have them?  For the moment
humor me and comment those out.  Then install the standard set and
install emacs from there.

You want these:

  deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
  deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze main contrib non-free

  deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze-updates main contrib non-free
  deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze-updates main contrib non-free

  deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
  deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free

And optionally you may want these.  I will mention them so that you
have them.  But they are definitely optional and not required.
However if you are withing to run Firefox on Squeeze then you
definitely want these added to get the current version.  See
http://mozilla.debian.net/ for more information.

  deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main
  deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ squeeze-backports iceweasel-release

After editing your /etc/apt/sources.list file run:

  apt-get update

  apt-get install emacs
  apt-get install emacs23-common-non-dfsg

Additionally you might find these optional extras useful:

  apt-get install emacs-el
  apt-get install emacs-goodies-el

Bob