Re: SB1040 X-Fi Xtreme Audio produces no sound on Squeeze

I am running Squeeze (Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64)
on a Dell XPS8300 with a Sound Blaster SB1040 X-Fi
Xtreme Audio card that produces no sound.

//////////////////////////////////////

'speaker-test -t sine -f 440 -c 2'  produces no sound:

        speaker-test 1.0.23

        Playback device is default
        Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
        Sine wave rate is 440.0000Hz
        ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open
        slave
        Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory

//////////////////////////////////////

'aplay -l'  produces:

        card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI
        HDMI]
          Subdevices: 1/1
          Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
        card 1: Generic_1 [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: CA0110 Analog
        [CA0110 Analog]
          Subdevices: 1/1
          Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
        card 1: Generic_1 [HD-Audio Generic], device 1: CA0110 Digital
        [CA0110 Digital]
          Subdevices: 1/1
          Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

///////////////////////////////////////

Your problem is that you have two sound-devices.
They are numbered 0 and 1

The speaker-test should work if you add

-D hw:1,0

to the options. ( use device 1, subdevice 0 )

To permanently change the order of the 'cards' there is this quote from

http://wiki.debian.org/ALSA :

"
1. Force the cards to load in a different order. I chose this route, and added the following to my /etc/modprobe.d/sound:

  options snd-trident index=0
  options snd-usb-audio index=1
This forces my Trident card to be the default (card 0) and my USB microphone to be card 1.
"

In your case the modules have different names:

       snd_hda_codec_ca0110     5280  1
        snd_hda_codec_atihdmi     2251  1

Also, I think that the name of the file should end in .conf: sound.conf .

If that succeeds your original speaker-test should work.

HTH, --Jasper.