How do you debug with php

I have just had a frustrating few days trying, and failing to set up a debugging session with a php based web app.

My setup is a yii based application, but with the framework sitting in a separate directory since (supposidely) the only file you actually have to expose to the web space is the index.php as the base url.

So my document root is at ~/dev/football/app and the framework is at ~/dev/yii/framework

I would like to put a breakpoint on the index.php in document root and single step tracking its progress through the entire sequence.

I have tried with multiple versions of eclipse with the PDT tools and xdebug. But whatever I do I end never hitting any breakpoints (including the fact that it says break before the first line).

I have tried with kdevelop and the kdevelop-php plugin. I got it running once, but now It crashes before it even loads.

I have tried with phpstorm, but it seems to need the entire php code within the web space, and doesn't allow for document root somewhere inside the directory hierarchy (at least i can't find a way to set it up).

debian doesn't seem to support the potential addings to vim and emacs.

What do others use?

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk