Re: Mozilla Firefox installed without package-management

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 06:49:07 +0200, Andreas Glaeser wrote:

> Everyone who wants or needs improved HTML5-support can download Mozilla
> Firefox webbrowser here:
> http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html You get improved
> rendering-speed, the optional 'do not track' feature and more for free.

There's also Mozilla repo in Debian with updated versions of the Mozilla
programs:

http://mozilla.debian.net/

> Installation instructions are here:
> http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Installing%20Firefox%20on%20Linux It
> is just a matter of unpacking the downloaded -.tar.bz2 archive in the
> home-directory and making launch-icons, which point to the executable,
> in the desktop-panel and/or directly on the desktop.

I remember I had to do some "directory linking" to get the plugins I
already had installed in the system working, but I'm on Lenny and I
performed a system-wide installation.

> Finally set Firefox as the system-default browser under System
>/Preferences/Preferred Applications/Internet. It all works completely
> painlessly on 64 bit architecture, should do on 32 bit, too. The
> settings from your iceweasel-browser are transferred to firefox and re
>-used. So in my humble opinion there is really no need at all to
> backport the unbranded iceweasel from Wheezy.

Well, there's people who thinks the opposite and despite I also use the
Mozilla packages, I prefer having both options, whether possible. In the
end, more options means more freedom for the users. And here have to
thanks both, Mozilla guys and Debian's Mozilla repo maintainers for
provinding an easy way to install the Mozilla programs.

> If it is equally easy to setup thunderbird, then I will use that instead
> of the backported icedove, too and report this as a fix against my bug
> #640306. When you downloaded and installed Firefox, then please do read
> the Mozilla privacy policy: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/privacy-policy
> then agree to it and sign up for their monthly newsletter.

IIRC, Thunderbird and Lightning were also plain easy to install.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón