DVD region codes ?

Am I doing something wrong, or have all linux systems recently started requiring the region-code to be set on DVD-drives to be able to play DVDs? I struggled for a while with a drive on a newish box and could not get it to play an old DVD. Went so far as to run DISCInfo.exe which confirmed I had not set a region on the drive, but it was NOT region free (says "lock detected"). So did an older machine that I am CERTAIN has been able to play that disc before. I ran "regionset(8)" , and the disc is now playable. I did not need this in the past. Now I guess I will not be able to play DVDs from other regions. What gives?

For the record, this is probably upstream problem(s), since both my main boxes, with debian and ubuntu, are affected. I should test this on my gentoo box as well, but if anybody has any info I'm all for a shortcut. My alternative right now is to try flashing my DVD-drive to get a region-free drive. This involves getting the drive into a Windows-box to get the flash utility to run. Already tried Wine and Freedos.

Disgusted greetings, Håkon.