Re: learning automake, etc. and being minimalistic

Alberto Luaces wrote:
> songbird writes:
>
>>   in the years of tinkering on linux i've never
>> really dug into a lot of things, much preferring
>> to hope packages work out of the box and if
>> they don't give up and go find something else
>> to do (there's always something else to do :) ).
>
> [...]
>

>>   ok, i've used a small tutorial that is part of an
>> online book at:
>>
>>   http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/autobook/autobook.html#SEC_Top
>>

> I might get back to you with a solution to your problem, but in the
> meantime I would warn you about using that outdated manual for learning
> autotools.

  oh, sure, i know it's not current, but it gave me
a perfect simple example to step forward from.

  already i've taken that and expanded it to work
for a different project with a subdirectory and
multiple binaries.  a few more bad-weather days
and i should be able to tar.gz and release a
version of it without the existing more complicated
build environment that it had wrapped around it
before.  a much nicer way forwards if i ever want
to build a Debian package.

  i'm using fairly current versions of the tools and
have the info pages installed and am using those too
as i go along.  however, i wanted a tutorial with
a bit more overview and one that integrated the tools
together.

> I would recommend you to take a look at the following
> resources in the future:
>
> Autotools tutorial by Alexandre Duret-Lutz:
>
> http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~adl/autotools.html
>
> Another reference by Diego Elio “Flameeyes” Pettenò:
>
> http://www.flameeyes.eu/autotools-mythbuster/
>
> The first articles of John Calcote which later got published in a book
> by OReilly:
>
> http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/books/autotools_a_guide_to_autoconf_automake_libtool
>
> Now that I think about it, you will get faster and better answers in the
> automake mailing list.

  thanks, i'll take a look at them, and see if i can find
the automake mailing list.

> Regards,

  songbird