Re: rtl8188ce in Debian Sid

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 09:06:29 +0800, wolf python london wrote:

(...)

>> Was the wifi driver working stable before and stopped from doing (e.g.,
>> after an update) it or have you been always getting reconnects?
>>
> Nope, it always behaves like this. I bought this laptop 2 months ago .
> It sometimes
> reconnects to my router, sometimes I have to reconnect manually.

Mmm, then you can start with the usual tests (selecting a different
transmission channel -avoid restricted ones-, lowering the security -from
WPA2 to WPA, for instance) and watch for any improvement but I doubt
there is any :-(

>> What kernel module are you loading ("lsmod | grep -i rtl")?
>>
> rtl8192ce, it seems fine.

(...)

Okay.

>> As you're on sid, you'll be running one of the latests kernels (3.2?)
>> but you can also try to compile kernel 3.3 (or even 3.4) available from
>> upstream sources to check if you get any improvement.
>
> I'm using 3.2.0-2-amd64 kernel.
> hmm, I have Funtoo current installed in the same laptop, which use
> kernel 3.2 and 3.3. Same problem.
> One weird problem is If I don't use it in several minutes, it
> disconnects from my router,and no longer reconnects an more.

By Googling around you'll find many reports for that card/chipset where
people complains for the same (random disconnects) and the solution tends
to be same in all cases: compile the realtek upstream driver instead using
the kernel stock one.

http://www.chayx.net/2011/06/how-to-install-realtek-rtl8188ce-wifi-drivers-thinkpad-edge-13-on-ubuntu-natty-1104.html

You can give it a try, and if that works for you... fine, but better if
you could report your findings either in Debian BTS or at linux wireless
mailing list so it gets fixed as soon as possible.

>> Also, there's a open bug report for the firmware blob
>> (rtl8192cufw.bin), is that the same file you're using? "dmesg | grep -i
>> rtl" will tell: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=661860
>>
> it seems not what I'm using .

(...)

Okay.

> Whole dmesg is here * https://gist.github.com/2356047 *. Thanks !

In addition to dmesg, review you "/var/log/messages". Kernel "oopes" and
traces use to be visible there :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón