Re: netinst CD image - too big, vaguely specified?

Hello Richard,

Richard Owlett <rowlett@pcnetinc.com> wrote:
> That led me to assume that the "business card" image would
> just go ahead and download the rest of the "netinst" image.

I think it downloads less, but I cannot guarantee that.

> How much control does user have over what it downloads?

You can abort the installation at any time…

> BUT, how much carnal knowledge would I need to use the
> "expert" mode. If program XYZ requires X11, will X11 and its
> dependencies be pulled in?

Probably. But you might also want a display manager such as
lightdm/slim/gdm and maybe a desktop environment such as KDE or the
like. Installing the "kde" metapackage will do that, but it will also
pull in a lot of other stuff you probably don’t want.

Knowing how to use apt-get etc. on the command line might also
be a good idea.

Best regards,

Claudius
--