Re: RAID1 does not boot

On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 12:11:40 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
>>> Installation finished. No error reported. This is the contents of the
>>> device map /boot/grub/device.map. Check if this is correct or not. If
>>> any of the lines is incorrect, fix it and re-run the script
>>> `grub-install'.
>>>
>>> (hd0)   /dev/sda
>>> (hd1)   /dev/sdb
>>
>> Only that information was displayed? I'd would have expected more
>> ("searching for splash image", "searching for kernel"...), but well, at
>> a first glance looks right to me, no errors at least.
>
> no, it only display the above nothing else.

Weird :-?

>> Just in case, try to run "update-grub" and check if that fixes the
>
>> booting issue.
>>

> ok if i update-grub it means i will shift from grub 1 to 2 maybe so is
> it going to effect any thing because i haven't work on grub 2 before. i
> am big time lenny user as i am new and i always look for stable version
> can grab my hairs for any errors and there are experienced people who
> can help with lenny.

Wait, wait... let's try to clear some points first.

1/ Are you using GRUB legacy or GRUB 2? I already asked you this but you
still have not replied to this question (or I don't remember). It is
important to know what's your GRUB's version as both versions differ a
lot.

2/ "update-grub" is not used to upgrade GRUB legacy to GRUB 2, it's a
routine used to reconciliate/populate the changes you've made in your
menu or configuration files (read "man update-grub" if you need detailed
info on what it does).

3/ Are you running Lenny or Squeeze? Lenny is not supported anymore (no
security patches) so installing lenny -unless you have a specific
requirement for doing so- is a bad move and a waste of time... you should
reconsider getting squeeze instead.

4/ You will have to confront GRUB 2 sooner or later :-)

>> If you're using GRUB2 I can't understand why the those commands did not
>> complain given that partition "0" shouldn't exist :-?
>>

> no i think lenny come with grub 1 by default and i am using the default
> one. what is that complain. can you please explain. i ll update to grub
> 2 and show you the command output. but are you sure its not going to
> hurt the running machine because i dont wana conduct the whole
> installation again :( its a pain.

So you're running Lenny... then sir, I'm sorry to say this but you really
should reconsider reinstalling your full system with squeeze (current
Debian stable) and now that you still have not started to install
packages I'd say is the best time for doing it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón