Re: how to increase space for tmpfs /tmp

On 20120331_114636, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Vi, 30 mar 12, 16:40:18, Paul E Condon wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps you are thinking of an officially published requirement. What
> > I mean 'requirement' is a condition which by trial is found to be
> > necessary for it to work.  I tried cases that did not meet this
> > condition and none of them worked, and conditions which did meet this
> > condition did work. The test was simple.  I found a file of output
> > from find on a large file structure and tried to sort in on inode
> > number. I got an error message about insufficient file space without
> > any attempt at a fix, then I tried several values for TMPDIR and
> > several different entries in /etc/fstab. Some combinations
> > successfully sorted the file. Some aborted with the same error message
> > as the base trial.  The pattern was clear. There must be an entry in
> > /etc/fstab and the entry must be usable to mount an existing partition
> > on an existing disk in the plain-vanilla traditional way. Putting an
> > entry in that would choke on mount -a, also did no good in letting
> > sort run to completion.
>
> Please post the exact commands you have tried and the error messages.
> From the paragraph above it is not very clear to me what you did, but I
> assure you TMPDIR works fine without an entry in fstab. Just make sure
> the directory exists and you have sufficient space on that partition.

The exact commands depended on the exact setup of my systems. (I have
3) I happen to have a setup with multiple partitions, some of them
unused or easily repurposed. I set up test cases. I try a few
commands. And I dismantle the setup if some of the resources need to
be returned to their normal use. The exact commands, without extensive
documentation would just lead to further fruitless discussion, IMHO.
My system is working now with /tmp on its own partition. When the
problem I encountered is fixed, I will return to the old way of doing
things. This experience has been difficult for me. I thought I had
found an issue that needs fixing for the common good.  I still think
that. But I have done what I can, and it is clearly not enough.

Peace.
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net