How to boot PC-BSD from Debian (was: Query about hard drive partitions maintenance)

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 10:51:05 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> so I believe that, in the circumstances, I have to abandon the
>>> prospect of installing PC-BSD 9 on this computer.
>>
>> I already pointed out some alternatives and Keith told you about
>> virtualization which can be also another possibility, at least to test
>> the PC-BSD 9 inners :-)
>>

> I appear to have successfully more or less installed PC-BSD 9 on a
> laptop computer; an HP/Compaq NX5000 with 2GB RAM, which has Debian
> Linux 6.03 as the only other operating system (and only other primary
> partition, apart from the Extended partition), but, to run it, I have to
> figure out how to get GRUB to find it.

You can let "os-prober" to find it or manually adding a new entry for
booting PC-BSD from Debian's GRUB2 menu.

More tips here:

http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Dual_Booting

> I have not been able to find how to get GRUB to find the PC-BSD 9
> installation, as yet. But, that is another issue, and, a bit of a
> different topic.

Yes, it would be better to open a new thread for that :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón