Re: Installing Debian as VirtualBox guest - which videodriver to install?

Hi Rui,

"Rui Miguel P. Bernardo" <rui.bernardo.pt@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just installed on my Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid host on VirtualBox
>> the Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid as guset using the
>> http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/amd64/daily/netboot/mini.iso
>>
>> so I get virtual consoles but not a desktop environment.
>>
>> I don't know whichvideodriver to install to get X Window on guest
>> system?
>>
>> On host system I have installed xserver-xorg-video-nvidia. Should I
>> install it on the guest system too?

> virtualbox-ose-guest-x11 will give you seamless screen display. I also
> recommend virtualbox-ose-guest-utils, virtualbox-ose-guest-source and
> virtualbox-ose-guest-dkms. These package names are for squeeze but
> work in wheezy/sid (transitional packages). The packages
> virtualbox-dkms may also be needed if not already installed, not sure.
> If the guest dkms module build fails, install it.
>
> To have all the video drivers installed install xserver-xorg and
> xserver-xorg-video-all. xserver-xorg-video-all will not install
> non-free drivers and will make sure you have vesa available.
> xserver-xorg-video-all is a package that can be safely removed later
> if you really want to remove some of the drivers installed.
>
> To install a desktop install the -session package of the preferred
> desktop (lxsession, xfce4-session, gnome-session, etc) and xinit to
> use startx. To use a desktop manager just install one (kdm, gdm3,
> lightdm, etc).
>
> You don't need nvidia drivers in the guest, you need the virtualbox
> drivers, even for 3d accel in guest.

OK

I have installed on guest system followings:
virtualbox-guest-x11
virtualbox-guest-dkms
virtualbox-guest-utils

It works, I have X Window system, I just use 'startx' to get it.
I have installed gpm for mouse support on textual console (not X)
When in textual mode (not X) in virtual terminal the gpm works but it is
buggy. The mouse pointer isn't in the proper position so one can't
always select (highlight) text in virtual terminal because just can't to
reach some rows in the terminal.

--
Regards from Pal