Re: Apt-pinning confusion

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 14:07:41 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>>> Testing is currently quite stable but there are significant
>>> differences between wheezy and squeeze, like the gnome environment.
>>
>> I think this won't make any difference for me because I will only use
>> the base system with xorg and xbmc without any window manager.
>
> Oh, that will make things easier (in the event you want to go with
> testing) :-)
>
>>> I'm not going to make any comments about pinning because I've never
>>> used but just a question: have you considered in using pinning only
>>> for the packages you want to be kept for a specific flavour? That is,
>>> being more "selective" to avoid additional problems or messing up too
>>> many packages.
>>
>> This sounds good.
>> I thought I can do that by installing via "apt-get -t wheezy
>> alsa-utils".
>
> Yes, if you manually specify in that way it's even safer.
>
> (...)
>
>> Unfortunately I don't have synaptic. I only have the terminal since I
>> don't want to use any window manager for xbmc.
>
> Aptitude can be a good "replacement" for Synaptic.
>
>> I can't as well install build-essential. There are many dependencies
>> which usually are solved automatically. I think this is something that
>> shouldn't be. When I want to install build- essential it asks for
>> libc6-dev which depends on libc but a newer version is to be installed:
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=FCBUeaVg
>
> $ sudo apt-get -t squeeze-backports install build-essential
>
>> It seems as if I made a mess because there already is a libc6 package
>> from testing installed.
>
> Mmm, I can't see such that package available for the backports :-?
>
>>> Your first plan seems good, it may just need to be polished a bit :-)
>>
>> Ok, thanks.
>> I will try to again maybe with a clean install again. Like that the
>> mess with the package dependencies should be gone.
>
> Wow... no need to re-install :-), just be sure about the steps you're
> doing. Whether in doubt, launch aptitude and try from there, it usually
> provides insightful information when having to deal with different/mixed
> sources.

Thanks again for your help, Camaleón!

I now was able to install the backports kernel, nvidia-glx and add wheezy
alsa.
The packages which I need for building xbmc are most from squeeze, some
from backports and some from wheezy.
I was just trying to install each package from squeeze. If it didn't work
I went for backports but most of them can't be found there so I went for
wheezy.

Btw what's the difference between linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.1-686-pae and
linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.2-686-pae and why are both in the backports repos.
I was looking at packages.debian.org but couldn't find any explenation.
Is there a place where I could find more infos?

Best regards
Ramon