Re: I accidentally installed lenny's linux-image/linux-header packages and I'm running Squeeze. What to do?

On 24 March 2012 04:25, Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:
[…]
> I bet thats because the Squeeze kernel is still installed. Several kernels
> can be installed beside each other. But read on.
[…]
> These do not show the exact current state of the system. While dpkg.log
> shows what has been installed recently, it doesn´t tell at a short glance,
> whether the Squeeze kernel is still installed. And apitude search will
> also find packages which are not installed.
>
> apt-get or aptitude install linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64 should give to the
> Squeeze kernel back in case it is removed.
>
> But please check first with
>
> dpkg -l | grep linux-image
>
> ls -l /boot
>
> whether the 2.6.32 kernel is still installed. I bet it is and then you do
> not have a problem at all. Having both a Lenny and a Squeeze kernel
> installed is the usual situation after an upgrade from Lenny to Squeeze.
>
> update-grub should be intelligent enough to put the most recent one on
> top. You can check this, by running it again or by viewing
> /boot/grub/grub.cfg oder menu.lst in case you still use GRUB 1.

[…]

> Ciao,
> --
> Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
> GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA  B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7

Hi Martin,

That's brilliant. You were right. I had no problem at all. What made
me nervous was when I saw the grub configuration script being run by
aptitude, but you are right, it was smart that it left the existing
grub menu entries intact, and the most recent kernel is still at the
top of the menu.

So it would seem that it is safe to have Lenny repositories in the
sources.list below the Squeeze ones. I've commented them out anyway,
as I can't recall any specific packages that are from Lenny.

Cheers,
Alex