Re: After update/upgrade can't get X to start

20/03/2012 07:05, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on my Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid with kernel 3.2.0-2-amd64 I can't get
> X Window to start.
>
> My Xorg.0.log can be seen here:
> http://paste.debian.net/160383/
>
> How can I solve this problem?
>
> Any advices will be appreciated!

Hi, when did the problem first occurred ? After a kernel upgrade ? right
after the install ? Graphic driver update ?

Anyways with 3.2 kernel there is an incompatibility on some systems
between Intel IOMMU visualization technology and NVidia drivers. If your
system has such technology you can try booting with "intel_iommu=off"
added to the kernel ("linux") line from the grub menu. Some BIOS allow
to disable the feature, could be easier.

Outside of this I am not aware of problems between NVidia and Sid, but
generally speaking the 295.20 NVidia driver version is not a good one,
expect many problems (xorg crashes, abrupt logout, application
segfaults) with this driver (google for bug reports, or see NVidia
forum). You can try the free "Nouveau" driver, revert to NVidia 290.10
(from snapshot.debian.org) and wait for a better version.

Outside of this possibilities, no clues from the log you've pasted. Do
you see any other error messages during the boot process ? Anything in
"dmesg" ?