Re: USB-keyboard language settings

El 2012-03-19 a las 12:47 +0100, Christian Frey escribió:

(correcting the top-posting and resending to the list)

> Am 19. März 2012 12:36 schrieb Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>:

(...)

> > I'm not sure to have properly understood the issue... are you saying your
> > keyboard layout is not the desired? If yes, what's the current one and
> > what do you want to get?
> >
> > If you are using a graphical DE, this can be set from the keyboard
> > configuration settings. If you're on console, you can edit "/etc/default/
> > keyboard" file.
> >
> > > How can I fix this issue // Thx./ A reconfigure of the keyboard
> > > configuration respectively of the locales did not really help.  The
> > > Format cannot be changed in the GUI.
> >
> > It is not clear to me what you understand for "keyboard format" :-?
> >
> > Greetings,

> OK, let's write it up properly ;)
>
> 1.) During Installation of Wheezy, I had to exchange my Logitech K340 with
> a PS/2 keyboard in order to install Wheezy as the USB-Keyboard did not
> react in the installer of Wheezy (although it did in the BIOS and also,
> interestingly, in Squeeze installer - as a test). Installation went fine,
> except that I would prefer that if one has choosen the system language
> (i.e. English), the list appearing later for countries to determine such
> things as currency etc. consists only of English speaking countries.

Installation is a one-time process that ends as soon as the system is
installed. Once your system boots you can edit your settings as desired.
I mean, don't worry about what you have set or not in this stage, it's
worthless.

> Contrary, the keyboard could be choosen properly as Swiss German. So, after
> login (I use GNOME/WHEEZY), my old PS/2 worked properly (i.e. no z and y
> change or Umlaute such as ä, ö...). Then I attached the Logitech K340 USB
> keyboard, the keyboard works but the language settings don't, i.e. I have
> obviously a GB layout. The only way to change this so far is to use:
>
> setxkbmap ch
>
> After executing this commmand, everything works fine - in the terminal as
> well as in GNOME, meaning I have the proper layout (I know that there are
> specific problems with Wheezy and USB keyboards known, and it is suggested
> to activate Legacy support in the BIOS. I have first to check if I have
> this option in the BIOS at all. Remark: Ubuntu 10.10 does not have all
> these problems).

Okay, so basically your problem is that your USB keyboard does not
respect your keyboard settings, right? You have set a Swiss layout and
you get an English one.

> 2.) My etc/default/keyboard looks ok:
>
> # KEYBOARD CONFIGURATION FILE
>
> # Consult the keyboard(5) manual page.
>
> XKBMODEL="pc105"
> XKBLAYOUT="ch"
> XKBVARIANT=""
> XKBOPTIONS="terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
>
> BACKSPACE="guess"

Looks good. Have you tried if the keyboard works as expected on a
console outside X?

> 3.) The problem seems to be known, if looking here also in ArchLinux:
> http://www.loggn.de/arch-linux-xorg-deutsches-tastaturlayout-logitech-k340-tastatur-schnurlos/

I'm afraid I can't read german but I'll take your word :-)

> If this problem is specific to K340, I do not know. So far I know that
> setxkbmap ch helps to solve it. How can I automatize this command such that
> I don't have to enter it after every startup ? In ArchLinux, it was put in
> autostart of openbox. GNOME has also an autostart, there I put it - but
> seems not to work (maybe I have to check again).

I guess you could do it in the same way but the file has to be placed
under "~/.config/autostart" and having a ".desktop" file format, for
example:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=fix for k340
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Exec=setxkbmap ch

I have not tested, though :-?

> Anyway, also this is not a "clean" solution. There should be a way to fix
> that properly. Thanks!

Sure, if this is a known problem I would rather report it for others
can also benefit from the fix :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón