Re: Automatically purging non-official packages

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> wrote:

> Ubuntu has a "ppa-purge" script that not just removes Launchpad PPAs
> from sources.list, but also automatically reverts any packages installed
> from that PPA to the versions available in the official archives.
>
> Has anyone ever written something similar for Debian? I'm thinking of a
> script that deletes all packages that are not retrievable from any of
> the registered sources, and downgrades (or upgrades) all packages to the
> most recent version available.

ppa-purge is a bash script so you could adapt it to your needs; or
inspire yourself from it since it might use unusable ppa-specific
searches, etc.

If you remove a repository from "/etc/apt/sources.list", you can list
obsolete packages with "apt-get update; aptitude search '?obsolete'"
(but they might not all be from that particular repository so you
might want to check before uninstalling/downgrading packages).