Cups Printing problem with USB to Parallel printer Cable

Debian Users

I have been plagued with an annoying problems with cups lately.

I have to unplug the usb cable every time I try to print from X
and then the console.  I finally found what is causing this but
not where the problem is.

This is on Sid and on Wheezy/Testing.

Here is what I found.

On boot-up the lp looks like this:
 wtopa@dj:~$ ls -lR /dev/bus/usb/003
crw-rw-r-T 1 root root 189, 256 Feb 27 04:22 001
crw-rw-r-T 1 root lp   189, 261 Feb 27 16:43 002

Printing from the console works for a while then doesn't print.
Unplug then pluging the usb shows a change to;

 wtopa@dj:~$ ls -lR /dev/bus/usb/003
crw-rw-r-T 1 root root 189, 256 Feb 27 04:22 001
crw-rw-r-T 1 root lp   189, 261 Feb 27 16:43 003

If I go to the cups printer page and then click on jobs then
select reprint Job, the page sent to the printer from the console
will be printed.  If I go to mrxvt I can use a2ps to print pages
as well.  This is a good work-around but not a fix.

Repeated unplug/plug of the usb cable shows that the lp perimeter
changes fron the starting 002 all the way to 007 before returning to the initial 002. So the 002-004-006 work for printing from the CLI and the odd numbers for X.

I suspect the problems is with cups but I am not sure. I am not a udev guru but am trying to see if I can create a rule to correct this PITA
problem.

Anyone with with udev rule experience have any ides as to how to do this?