Re: Simultaneous desktop environments (Gnome and xfce) in two X server sessions.

On 02/22/12 19:15, yudi v wrote:

Don't login to your shell as root, just as $user,
then it's the same:
startx

Ok I cannot launch X session from tty7, default console, as the normal
user. But if I change the allowed_users value in
/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config file from "console" to "anybody", I can
launch it from tty7.

From what  I understand this is a security risk to have anybody launch
X, therefore left it as "console".

the only way I can launch a separate X session is to first log into
another console first and then launch X. This works without any issue.

This is what you want it to do. Normally, you log in to a terminal (probably vt1) and then you run startx. This starts X in vt7. If you then log into terminal 2 and run startx -- :1 you will get a new session in vt8. You can use ctl-alt-F7 and ctl-alt-F8 to switch between them. As I undertand it, you do not want to be in vt7 (or anything higher than vt6) when you run the startx command.

Marc