Re: How do you approach the problem of "MaxClients reached" with apache?

francis picabia:

> One of the most frustrating problems which can happen in apache is to
> see the error:
>
> server reached MaxClients setting

Well, either you are trying to serve more clients than you have
configured, or whatever is responsible for creating the responses
(application server, CGI script, PHP, the filesystem…) is too slow.

You can monitor response times using a CustomLogFormat.

> One tip I've seen suggested is to reduce the apache timeout from 120
> seconds down to 60 seconds or so.

What might help is to use a low KeepAliveTimeout or don't use KeepAlive
at all. That makes Apache kill idle conections faster. Reducing the
CompressionLevel in use has helped on one site I help out with, too.

J.
--
Ultimately, the Millenium Dome is a spectacular monument of the
doublethink of our times.