Re: New computer planned

Sian Mountbatten <poenikatu@fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> So I'm going to ask my friendly computer consultant, who is only
> downstairs from me, to build me a computer with hardware 3d
> acceleration, solid-state drive, 8Gb RAM. What else should I ask for and
> what works with Linux?

Sian,

Two years ago I did the same thing. Quad-core 3GHz AMD Phenom2, 4G of
1600DDR3 RAM, etc.

Everything on my ASRock and Asus motherboards has worked perfectly
with Linux. In that regard, I don't think you have anything to worry
about.

The only thing I did for "Linux compatibility" was to not get on-board
graphics. I bought an Nvidia-based graphics card that was not
"bleeding edge", even though it's got 3D acceleration. The card has
it's own RAM, so system RAM is not shared, which is a very good thing,
and it drives 3D games perfectly well using the Nvidia supplied
graphics driver.

It is my understanding that the Intel-based graphics cards work
perfectly well with the standard Linux drivers, if you want to stay
purely open-source.

I also kept my old keyboard, since the motherboards all still have PS2
sockets for keyboards. I have tried wireless keyboards, and they have
not been 100% reliable for me.

Curt-