Re: sample rate of ogg and flac files

On 20/02/12 01:59, Rob Owens wrote:
I've got some flac files that are at high sample rates (96000 Hz and
192000 Hz).  My Sansa Clip+ won't play them.  When I encode them to ogg
vorbis, the Clip+ still won't play them unless I resample them.  I
resampled to 44100 Hz and that worked, but I don't know if the actual
limit is higher than that.

Are you running regular Sansa firmware? It might be worth seeing whether
<http://rockbox.org/> will handle the higher sample rates. You can normally safely install rockbox alongside your existing firmware, and use either.

(even if it *can*, there's a possibility that it will be downsampling at play-time, depending on whether the hardware chip can handle the
sample rate. I'm not sure.)

Would it be a good idea to include this type of information in the
media-player-info files?  Then Rhythmbox, etc. could possibly resample
my files when I add them to my player.  Rhythmbox currently uses the
media-player-info files to know what formats my player supports, and
will transcode my music files when I add them to my player, if necessary.

I'm thinking of filing a wishlist bug to media-player-info, but I'd like
to hear if anyone's got a better suggestion.

I think it's a great idea, but you should look at discussing this with upstream first, perhaps on their development list, and then perhaps file a bug there. The Debian bug is likely superfluous.

--
Jon Dowland