Re: How to share the Internet with Linux and an iPad by Wi-Fi?

On Du, 19 feb 12, 12:58:19, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I only enabled wireless, the DSL connection isn't set up by nm, it was
> set up by pppoeconf and starts automatically at startup.

You're probably better of doing it by hand, aproximate steps from
memory:

- disable network manager
- configure wlan0 with a static IP + netmask in /etc/network/interfaces
  (but no gateway, this is important)
- install hostapd, dnsmasq and resolvconf if not already installed
- configure hostapd: which interface (wlan0), wpa2, wpa2 passphrase
- configure dnsmasq as DHCP server (uncomment one of the network
  definitions in /etc/dnsmasq.conf)
- enable IP forwarding: I usually do this with shorewall since in such
  cases I need a firewall anyway
- if MTU for you pppoe is set to 1492 you may need to clamp MSS to Path
  MTU Discovery[1] (with shorewall or the iptables command mentioned on
  that page

[1] http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.cookbook.mtu-mss.html

Kind regards,
Andrei