Re: Convert mp3 enbulk

Carl Fink wrote:
> Chris wrote:
> > Is there something out there that will
> > 1. Convert to ogg enbulk
> > 2. Then, I would like to duplicate the structure I have I place
> > for the mp3 to the ogg format.
>
> I'm lazy so I'd use the command line.

Me too.

I have the opposite problem.  Everything I have is in ogg format.  But
sometimes I want to play on a device that doesn't understand ogg and
can only play mp3 format.  I simply convert the file to .wav format
and then encode it again to mp3.  You could do something similar.

> I'd just duplicate the whole tree, say
>
> 	cp -r Music Music-ogg

I would convert it in place.  I don't think there needs to be a copy
of the original files made.

> Then cd Music-ogg and
>
> 	find . -name "*mp3" -exec oggenc <options> {} \;
>
> I know there are more elegant ways to do it, but for a one-time task
> I'm far too lazy to look them up.

I would also use find but would use -execdir along those lines.  I
would write a short script taht did:

  ffmpeg -I file1.mp3 file1.wav
  oggenc file1.wav -o file1.ogg
  rm -f file1.wav

And then call that from find.

  find . -name '*.mp3' -execdir scriptit {} \;

Unfortunately the tags don't transfer one to one.  Have you looked at
the tags available (or that you have used, or not used) in your mp3
files?  And then look at the tags available in ogg format.  It isn't a
one-to-one lineup.  It isn't the end of the world but you should look
at that part of things and decide what you want to do there.

Bob