Re: Problem Installing libc6 (eglibc) from netboot image

Chris Hiestand wrote:
> It seems that during a preseeded installation today my squeeze VM
> installed a proposed update when it shouldn't have:

Or did you simply catch an archive in the middle of being updated?
That shouldn't happen but depends upon the mirror you are using.

> > root@test:/usr/share/doc# dpkg -l |grep 2.11.3-3
> > ii  libc-bin  2.11.3-3  Embedded GNU C Library: Binaries
> > ii  libc6     2.11.3-3  Embedded GNU C Library: Shared libraries
> > ii  locales   2.11.3-3  Embedded GNU C Library: National Language (locale) data [support]
> > ii  nscd      2.11.3-3  Embedded GNU C Library: Name Service Cache Daemon

Those appeared in Squeeze today.

> This breaks dependencies:
>
> > root@test:/# apt-get install build-essential
> >  build-essential : Depends: libc6-dev but it is not going to be installed or
> >                             libc-dev
> >                    Depends: g++ (>= 4:4.4.3) but it is not going to be installed
> > E: Broken packages

Fine for me.

  $ apt-cache policy libc6-dev
  libc6-dev:
    Installed: 2.11.3-3
    Candidate: 2.11.3-3
    Version table:
   *** 2.11.3-3 0
          500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates/main i386 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       2.11.3-2 0
          500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main i386 Packages

  $ apt-cache policy g++
  g++:
    Installed: 4:4.4.5-1
    Candidate: 4:4.4.5-1
    Version table:
   *** 4:4.4.5-1 0
          500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main i386 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

> > root@test:/etc# apt-get install libc6-i386
> >  libc6-i386 : Depends: libc6 (= 2.11.3-2) but 2.11.3-3 is to be installed

Where does your libc6-i386 come from?  It doesn't appear in the
archives for me.

  # apt-get install libc6-i386
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
  Package libc6-i386 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
  is only available from another source

  E: Package 'libc6-i386' has no installation candidate

I have libc6-i686 installed.

> Now this is odd because squeeze (stable) is only supposed to be
> installing 2.11.3-2:

True yesterday.  Today 2.11.3-3 is in the released archive.  I think
you caught an archive in update transition.  That shouldn't be a
problem if the mirror is being updated using the proper upgrade
scripts.  But if they are using something like rsync unscripted then
it might happen.  Try it again or change mirrors.  I bet it will work
now.

Bob