Re: Maintaining/resting gnome settings

T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>My wife uses gnome, but the problem is that her gnome settings goes
>berserk every now and then. It won't be long for her to find out this is
>not working as expect, then that is not working as expect. I use fluxbox
>instead of DM, so I don't know gnome well. So all I can do is to remove
>any files/directories under her home dir that vaguely seems to be gnome
>settings.
>
>Now she found that she couldn't open .rar files any more. I tested under
>my gnome, and it works fine for me. Problem is, I just removed all her
>gnome setting related files/directories only about a month ago, and now I
>have to do find/delete/re-config again.
>
>I really have enough now, and am seeking real solutions.
>How can I keep just what I configured under home, instead of having
>several humongous gnome configuration files/directories under home.
>
>Please help. Any tip appreciated.

How about making a little script? Gnome related configuration files
(Gnome 2.30) can usually be found here:

.gnome2/
.gnome2_private/
.gconf/
.gconfd/

maybe also

.config/

So you can either make a script that removes these directories and
puts the backup in place, or, even more fancy, have a look at vcsh,
which lets you manage those directories as git repositories. To get
an older version, you then have to simply check out the corresponding
commit.

Best regards,

Claudius
--
BOFH excuse #399:

We are a 100% Microsoft Shop.
Please use GPG: ECB0C2C7 4A4C4046 446ADF86 C08112E5 D72CDBA4
http://chubig.net/ http://nightfall.org