Re: rm -rf is too slow on large files and directory structure(Around 30000)

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012, Bilal mk wrote:

I am using xfs filesystem and also did the fsck. DMA is enabled.
Also perfomed xfs defragmentation( xfs_fsr). But still an issue not only rm
-rf but also cp command

Until quite recently XFS was notable for being slow to delete. Others have noted that this is greatly improved in recent kernels but even with older kernels there is quite a bit of tuning that you can do to improve the delete performance. Your favourite search engine should give you good results.

I put down some notes for myself here a while back:

http://www.practicalsysadmin.com/wiki/index.php/XFS_optimisation

Cheers,

Rob

--