Re: Get to the bottom of what is running my networks

Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:

> On Wed 15 Feb 2012 at 12:57:24 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
> [Snip]
>
>> Honestly it is confusing... surely there is some straight forward way
>> by now on this modern of a version of debian to simply work with the
>> tools that control networking...
>
> There is: ifupdown

Ahh now we're talking.

[...]

> Some reading is unavoidable. In fact, it is essential.

`Some' reading is not a problem.
In fact the section:

(wrapped for mail)
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_the_basic
_network_configuration_with_ifupdown_legacy:

dealing with ifupdown is just my size.

>> Can anyone provide a simple step by step procedure?
>
> For what? You haven't descibed the network setup and what you want to
> achieve.

You may be over reaching a bit here, surely it was plain I wanted to
be able to stop/start a network...  And the command line tools you
have pointed to are high level tools, capable of start/stopping many
different configurations, so not so much about the details of the
network.

[...]

> ifupdown.

Yes sir, thank you, and point taken about not saying more precisely
what I am after.  More care is truly indicated!

Trying to be brief with the following description as well as concise
and clear.  But I suspect it will grow a bit windbaggy.

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

LOCALHOST has 2 nics; I want both to get a dhcp address but from 2
different servers, and on different subnets.

I use MAC matching on the dhcp servers to assign a specific dhcp
address to specific MACS, and there by arriving at something very
close to a statically assigned IPs for some hosts.

LOCALHOST is NOT being used as a router in the common understanding of
that term but is allowing traffic to/from 2 subnets.  Which is, of
course, the hall mark of a router.

The second subnet is not really expected to be used for full lan/wan
networking just yet.  The ethernet address on LOCALHOST matching the
second subnet 192.168.2.0/24 is on eth1, and is really only being used
to access a pet router (TP-Link WR1043ND) I am playing with using
openwrt OS software.

So the real and normal network traffic on lan is on subnet
192.168.1.0/24 and is currently being handled by cisco-linksys-WR120N.

The matching address on LOCALHOST is on eth0. And is the IP address
for LOCALHOST registered across the lan (192.168.1.42) in /etc/hosts
files.

So the idea is to have this happen on boot:

eth0 to be served a specific subnet 192.168.1.0/24 address
(192.168.1.42) from router cisco-linksys WR120N.

eth1 to be served a specific subnet 192.168.2.0/24 address
(192.168.2.42) from router TP-Link WR1043ND

The tinkering router has IP 192.168..2.1 on its lan side and address
192.168.1.50 on its wan side.
-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

I have it working right now but I'm not sure how much was done by
network-manager.  Not real sure what will happen on reboot, all though
it seems to have survived 1 reboot so far.

I'd like for it to be completely reliable of course and would prefer
to ditch network-manager and manage it with ifupdown tools.

One last point: I'm not sure if I need to block traffic at the gateway
router (cisco-linksys WR120N) to the 192.168.2.0/24 network, to be on
the safe side, and in fact do NOT really see how that would be done on
that router (but that is out of scope here).  Possibly that is already
being done by default (no traffic to the internal ranges that include
192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24.

Any advice on any of this is quite welcome.