Re: free software mini pc

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:34 AM, green <greenfreedom10@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am *not* looking for disposable hardware.  I am *not* interested in
> purchasing a maintenance burden.  I need *rock-solid* *long-term* Linux
> reliability on *rock-solid* hardware.  Will Compulabs continue to provide
> updated custom kernels a year or more from now?  I doubt it, considering that
> the custom kernel they provide for their product now does not work (strictly
> speaking).
>
> Frankly, I am surprised that comments here suggest apathy and even hostility
> toward (that is, questioning the value of) a search for a strictly "free
> software" device, especially considering Debian's social contract and the
> purpose of reducing maintenance requirements.  Do you or others here enjoy
> purchasing a system on which Linux does not work correctly until months
> later, if ever?

:)

The perceived hostility is an artifact of your own aggressivity;
basically "I want this", "I don't want that", "I refuse to compromise
on this".

If the DFSG or an equivalent philosophy gets in the way of my
installing Linux and using it easily, I ignore the DFSG.

I also reject your premise (as I've understood it) that the packages
in main are more stable than the packages in the non-main repos - and
I'm sure that the developers who maintain the latter packages would
prefer that you be more respectful of their work.