Re: How to design a centralized cross-platform BACKUP solution ?

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 06:27:38PM +0530, J. Bakshi wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 07:36:11 -0500
> Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
> > +1 for backuppc (although I've never used amanda).  Its scheduler is
> > fairly smart.  If a machine (backuppc calls them hosts) is not available
> > for backup, it tries again later (default is every hour).  You can
> > configure blackout periods when no backups will occur, and you can
> > configure rules to ignore the blackout periods (say, if a host hasn't
> > been backed up in 3 days).
> >
> > It pools common files, so if you back up /etc on 10 identical machines,
> > it's only going to save a single copy.
>
> well the scenario is different here, as the client machines are having different
> configuration as the users is enjoying the full control to tweak their boxes.
> The backuppc will act as their backup vault if something goes wrong.

Maybe that was a bad example.  Backuppc pools on the file level, so
*some* of the files in /etc are going to be identical on some of your
client machines.  Those files will only be saved in the backup pool
once.  Even more important:  user1 shares a 50MB video with user2.  Now
each of them has that file on their machine.  That 50MB file will only
be saved in the pool once.  That can quickly add up to major space
savings, particularly in an office scenario where it is very common (in
my experience) for coworkers to have identical copies of documents on
their computers.

-Rob