Re: How to design a centralized cross-platform BACKUP solution ?

On 2/14/2012 2:30 AM, J. Bakshi wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 01:48:50 -0600
> Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2/14/2012 1:00 AM, J. Bakshi wrote:
>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> I like to implement a debian server with plenty of HDD space to work as a centralized net backup
>>> server. The idea is both Linux and windows users can keep their backup at this server ( may be just folders;
>>> or a complete partition or two); can browse their backups through web interface, can easily restore
>>> and the main thing minimal client configuration.
>>>
>>> I have already "apt-cache search" in debian and I have found close to my scenario is backuppc.
>>> Though amanda is also there but I don't know how much it comes closer to my requirement.
>>>
>>> Hence I am in a phase to just listen to you; about your experience and implementation.
>>> Waiting to hear you...
>>
>> Look at iFolder.
>>

> But it is a collaboration suite, where I need backup

Since when?  iFolder is a file sync platform with additional
capabilities.  It does allow for sharing of iFolders that reside on the
server, but this was a natural evolution of the base capability.

iFolder is first and foremost a file sync platform for data resiliency
purposes, or at least that was the case back in 2006-2007.  I was the SA
at a small private school then that already had a one laptop per student
program at that time.  We implemented the iFolder client on 400+ SLED10
laptops to backup the kids' files over the wireless network to the
iFolder server I built, a SLES9 guest running on our ESX farm storing
the files on a SAN LUN.

I don't recall the exact reasons, but at the time we weren't able to
allow automatic sync over the WAN.  So the kids had to manually sync
files via the iFolder server web interface when they were at home.  Or
they could just wait until the next school day.  As soon as they'd power
on the laptop it would connect and sync up.

Anyway, iFolder worked great for us then for file sync.  I see no reason
why it doesn't still do this today.  It obviously doesn't do partition
level backups, but who cares.  If a PC's drive dies you're going to
reimage it anyway.  Once that's done you simply setup the iFolder client
and it goes and grabs all the files off the server.  We did this dozens
of times.  Worked like a charm.

--
Stan