Re: Running 2 ssh instances

On 20120213_200321, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:26:54AM +0100, Claudius Hubig wrote:
> > Hello Sylvain,
> >
> > Sylvain <sylvaintersideral@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >Right now I'm a bit confused by the way chroot seems to work with users.
> > >I'd be grateful if someone had an idea on how to do have an ssh instance
> > >running on a specific port and allowing only certain users.
> >
> > Check $(man sshd_config) and the AllowUser option. You should then be
> > able to create a second SSHd configuration file listening on the
> > appropriate port. I would then go on and maybe adapt
> > either /etc/init.d/ssh slightly to also start the second server (with
> > the appropriate configuration file) or create a second script doing
> > the same thing.
> >
> I agree with Claudius.  For your second instance of ssh, you don't need
> a chroot.  You do need:
>
> /etc/init.d/ssh.alt
> /etc/default/ssh.alt
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config.alt (and use the AllowUsers and Port options)
> /var/run/sshd.alt (although your init script may create this directory,
> if you copy the standard ssh init script)

I have been running dozens of instances of ssh simultaneously for
years without doing anything like the above. Either it is entirely
unnecessary or the Debian Maintainer has include all this in his
install script. Or maybe, like gnome-terminal, a single instance can
manage multiple indepentent windows. Either way, I have found the
number of windows to be effectively unbounded. Have you tried it?
I think you will find that it works.

HTH

--
Paul E Condon